Wednesday, November 28, 2012

November ABS Challenge Piece

Three Worlds, 1955 by M C Escher
Lithograph

About the Art
Three worlds depicts a large pool or lake during the autumn or winter months, the title referring to the three visible perspectives in the picture: the surface of the water on which leaves float, the world above the surface, observable by the water's reflection of the forest, and the worlk below the surface, observable in the large fish swimming just below the water's surface.

About the Artist
Maurits Cornelis Escher, June 1898 – 27 March 1972, usually referred to as M. C. Escher, was a Dutch graphic artist. He is known for his often mathematically inspired woodcuts, lithographs, and mezzotints. These feature impossible constructions, explorations of infinity, architecture, and tessellations.


This month I was really excited to participate in the ABS Challenge - this piece actually spoke to mom and myself and it was easy to design - just took forever to create :)


This is our piece with a copy of the Escher inspiration.


The pendant is 20 gauge copper that mom put a pattern on, sawed out, filed and sanded.  I then kiln fired enameled the piece with black and white enamel.


Mom and I also made the clasp to go with the piece - sawed out of 20 gauge copper, filed, sanded and enameled with black and white enamels.


The lampwork beads I made with white and black glass - I was trying to go for the feel of the leaves with the feathering on the beads.  Mom and I used accent beads, from Michaels.  They are Zebra 24mm Diamond Stone beads.  We also used gunmetal spacers and black glass beads.


So, that is our piece for this month's ABS Challenge.  I hope you enjoyed the piece as much as we did creating it!

Check back on Friday because mom and I are participating in Erin's Color of Challenge blog hop.  I am so excited to share what mom and I created - it totally changed from our beginning ideas and involved into something completely different.  That is what I love about challenges - pushes you outside of your boundaries!

2 comments:

  1. Your fish focal and those lampwork beads are awesome! Escher is such great inspiration and you girls nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was well worth the wait for your piece. Just incredible!

    How is your mom's foot?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...